Sunday, March 4, 2012

Simple Bliss Sundays

Another new theme day! Simple Bliss Sundays, because Sundays are always a day that I like to stay home, relax, cook delicious things, pamper myself and soothe my soul.

Whatever I'm doing, I've become completely hooked on watching Oprah's Super Soul Sunday a completely mind blowing, heart opening series of some of the wisest, thought provoking people on the planet.

Today we started out with a nice breakfast of eggs, bacon and english muffins with marmalade. Then I moved on to putting a pot of black eyes peas on to simmer for dinner later. Chopping all the veggies, and then sauteeing them with bacon and ham absolutely equals bliss!

I'm a latecomer to cooking black eyes peas, only making my first batch this past New Years day. Honestly, I used to HATE them. I thought they were stinky and one of the nastiest things ever. Memire (my darling Grandmother) used to try and make me eat them, yet even for her I wouldn't do it. Then John got me to taste some a few months ago. They were....okay, sorta. Tolerable, but I knew I could probably make them more to my liking if I made my own. So on New Years day I decided to be traditional and give it a shot. They were heavenly, done my way, and so now they're on a regular rotation for our dinner menu. We just serve them up over steamed rice, maybe with corn bread as a side. Now to wait for these little yummies to be finished!

My next plan for the day is a long hot shower. My sinuses have been giving me pure hell for more than a month now. I've done the double round of antibiotics, and everything else known to humankind, yet they are still making my head ache like there are little dwarves tunneling in my skull with jackhammers. Hot showers, herbs or spices steaming on the stove, using my neti pot, and taking tons of mucinex seem the only things that make a difference for a short time.

To make my afternoon shower more relaxing and pampering, I made a citrus sugar body scrub. I adore making sugar scrubs of all kinds. If I'm in a pinch for time and just need some quick exfoliating I'll just grab a couple spoonfuls of table sugar, dampen it between my palms and use it as is.

When I do have more time, I grab a bowl, add sugar, a few drops of vegetable oil ( I like olive, almond, canola or coconut oils) then I add in whatever strikes my fancy. I've used everything from a dash of chai spice blend, (great with brown sugar) to ginger, various essential oils like rose, jasmine, chammomile, or peppermint, to citrus like today. It's pretty much anything goes depending on what scents you like.             
Here's todays recipe if you'd like to try making your own.
Zest of one orange and one tangerine
About five tablespoons sugar
a few drops of olive oil.
Blend together until you have a light crumbly mixture.
Take a shower as normal, then right before you get out use the scrub all over. With citrus, I would not use it on my face or other delicate spots. Use your common sense, some things shouldn't go near your eyes. If you've zested the citrus finely it should wash right down the drain, so you don't have to worry about clogs.

May your Sunday also be filled with blissful moments dear sugarpeas!

No comments:

Post a Comment